Change of Major


The Art and Design Department’s change of major requests are reviewed three times each academic year, once during each of the following quarters: fall, winter, and spring. There are three concentrations within the Art and Design major, you must select one: Graphic Design, Photography and Video, or Studio Art. We are not accepting applications for second majors, as an alternative, please review our art minor programs.

In order to change your major to Art and Design, you must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Must have completed at least one quarter at Cal Poly
  • Must have a Cal Poly (CPSLO) GPA of 2.5 OR two consecutive term GPA’s of 2.7 with at least 12 units per quarter
  • Never previously submitted a portfolio to change your major to Art & Design at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo or created an ICMA with Art & Design
  • Must complete the proposed major within 15 quarters (first-time freshmen) or 9 quarters (transfer students) of first attendance at Cal Poly
  • Successfully pass portfolio review
  • Create and successfully complete an ICMA (contract) with the Art & Design Department Chair

Change of Major Application Steps:

  1. By the end of the third week of the quarter, go to the Art & Design Department office (building 34, room 169) to complete the Change of Major Request sign-up sheet (located at the front desk). You will then be scheduled an appointment to meet with the Department Chair.
  2. After your appointment with the Chair, the department office will provide you with detailed instructions on how to submit your portfolio online. You will also be provided with a due date for your portfolio. Your entire portfolio must be submitted by the due date, no exceptions will be allowed. For more portfolio information, see Portfolio Requirements.
  3. You will be notified via your Cal Poly email if your portfolio was accepted by the end of the quarter in which you requested to change your major. If your portfolio is accepted, another appointment with the Chair will be scheduled and an Individual Change of Major Agreement (ICMA) will be developed. The ICMA will serve as a contract, and will be valid for no more than two academic quarters. For more ICMA information, please see the CLA Advising website.

Department Contact:  Kristen Ghiglia, Art & Design's Administrative Assistant at: kghiglia@calpoly.edu or 805-756-1148


Related Content