Mandatory Advising for Art and Design Majors
Every year the department chair holds individual meetings with Art and Design majors for an annual advising appointment to plan each student's future schedule and assist with academic related questions. Students create an advising contract that can be used during registration each quarter throughout their time at Cal Poly. The contract helps students keep on track for graduation.
Students receive an email with information about the advising process, how to prepare their documents and schedule an appointment. The appointment is mandatory and takes approximately 15 minutes. Failure to meet with the chair during the advising period may result in a hold on registration. Students can begin preparing for their appointment by doing the following:
Prepare Documents Required for Appointment
Before your advising appointment, complete a new advising contract (see link below). You will also need your Degree Progress Report (DPR), either printed, or viewable on a device, for your appointment. If you do not have these documents, you will need to reschedule. To help you complete your advising contract, it is recommended that you use your catalog year flowchart and Art and Design's current "Tentative Course Offerings" list. Links are provided below, along with other useful information:
- Advising Contract
- Example of a completed advising contract
- Art & Design Flowcharts (Select catalog year, major, concentration)
- Art & Design's current Tentative Course Offerings list
- How to locate, print, and understand your DPR (make sure ART classes are expanded)
Additional Advising Resources
- College of Liberal Arts (CLA) Advising & Student Resources: Professional advisors and peer advisors in the CLA Advising Center can help you with advising tools, minors, study abroad, transfer credit, and much more. Drop-in advising is available via Zoom.
- First Year Students (not transfers) - Mustang Success Center: The Mustang Success Center serves as a first year advising center for freshmen.
After you fill out you contract, upload it to OneDrive following the information sent to you by email, 24 hours before your appointment.
Schedule an Advising Appointment
Follow the information sent to you about scheduling your appointment, as soon as possible. Appointment slots fill-up quickly. Keep your confirmation email handy.
Check your confirmation email for information, date, time and location of your meeting. Bring a paper copy of the contract that you uploaded to OneDrive, and your Degree Progress Report, either printed or viewable on a device.
Wear a mask to your meeting and follow Cal Poly COVID-19 guidelines (https://www.calpoly.edu/roadmap/students).
Once your contract is signed by both you and the chair and submitted, you have completed the advising process.