Studying Art and Design at Cal Poly
The Department of Art and Design promotes individual vision and creative excellence. The curriculum provides a strong foundation in the creation, history, and theory of the visual arts that prepares students for professional careers and graduate studies. Art and Design emphasizes experimentation, problem solving, and interdisciplinary collaboration informed by global awareness.
Cal Poly's Art & Design Department is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
Graduates of the Department of Art and Design will be able to:
- Produce a strong body of work and/or professional portfolio
- Establish and maintain a rigorous creative practice that is productive and professional
- Utilize an articulate and sophisticated visual, verbal, and technical vocabulary related to art and design from a broad range of styles and periods
- Apply comparative reasoning in evaluating works of art and design
- Contribute to diverse, cross-disciplinary, collaborative endeavors
- Resolve problems and challenge assumptions through innovative thinking and visual expression
- Demonstrate integrity and make ethical decisions in creative expression and professional practice
- Perpetuate a life-long commitment to learning, inquiry, and discovery