The Art & Design Department has over 17,000 square feet of space dedicated to creating all types work. Students have access to 9,500 square feet of studio space, 5,000 square feet of photography space, and 2,500 square feet of graphic design rooms, as well as the resource areas listed below.
Art & Design Computer Lab
The Computer Lab is available for students during school hours, as well for after hour and weekend access with individual key cards. The lab is configured with twenty three Apple iMacs, running industry-standard software for desgn: Adobe Creative Cloud, as well as other tools such as Microsoft Office, Final Cut Pro X, Maya, and more. The Lab also has a variety of scanning and printing options, including a laser tabloid printer and inkjet photographic printers.
Building: 34 - 160B
Art & Design Photography Lab and Studios
The Photo Lab and two large studios are available for students during class hours, as well between classes for individual use. The heart of the Photo Lab is the student wet film development facilities. The lab features Apple iMacs setup similar as the Computer Lab, with some extra tools such as CaptureOne. The Lab also has a variety of scanning and printing options, as well as a vast array of photography and lighting tools and accessories.
Photography Instructional Support Technician
Building: 34 - 222
Art & Design Studio Lab/Shop
Studio Instruction Tech
Building: 34 - 125
Art & Design Resource Center
The Art & Design Resource Center is available for student use and contains a wide variety of materials, tools and supplies for projects and assignments, as well as a substantial collection of Art & Design specific books and periodicals. Also available:
- Graphic Printer: Ricoh C831DN Tabloid
- Photographic Printer: Canon Image ProGraf PRO-2000
- Scanners: Epson V10000XL large format & V600
- Professional/Educational Development Info: Graduate Schools and Programs, Summer Programs, Workshops, Competitions
- Pantone Color: Reference Guides, Solid Chips, Formula Guide, Solid in Hexachrone, Color Bridge, Metallic Formula Guide, Pastel Formula Guide, 4 Color Process Guide, Goe Guide, Go Sticks
- Supplies & Equipment: Coil & Binders, Pantone Color CUE 2, Large self-healing cutting top, paper cutters, hole punchers, T-squares, and more.
- Paper Product Samples: Various styles, weights, and manufacturer examples.
Hours: Open during scheduled instruction days (closed for summer)
Building: 34 - 160A
Art & Design Visual Resources Center
The Visual Resources Center (VRC) supports the instructional needs of the Art and Design Department’s faculty and students. The VRC provides high-quality digital images and metadata, of works of art from prehistory to the present, for teaching, research and study. While the VRC primarily serves the Art & Design curriculum, the Cal Poly community may access our developing digital collection via the Artstor database located on the Kennedy Library’s Web site here.
Visual Resources Specialist
Building: 34 - 141