How to Apply to Cal Poly's Art & Design Major
STEP 1 — Apply Online
Deadline: End of November
- Follow the applicant process listed on Cal Poly's Admissions website to apply to attend Cal Poly as an Art and Design major for the following Fall quarter. All Cal Poly applicants must declare a major when submitting their Cal Poly application. On the application, be sure to check the box to receive information from Cal Poly during the application time period.
- The Art and Design program accepts new students only in the Fall and does not participate in early admission decision. You cannot double major in Art and Design.
STEP 2 — Invitation for Portfolio Submission
- Cal Poly's Admissions office determines which applicants meet the University's requirements for the Art and Design major. For more information, read Cal Poly's selection criteria for freshman and transfer students. Selected applicants are then invited to submit a portfolio.
- In January, applicants are notified if they are (or are not) invited to submit a portfolio. Eligible applicants will receive an invitation which will include a deadline date that the portfolio will be due and directions on how to upload their portfolio pieces digitally. The invitation will be sent to the e-mail address that was submitted online with Admissions when applying for Cal Poly.
STEP 3 — Submit Portfolio
- Portfolios will be due in February. The deadline date to submit the entire portfolio will be noted in the invitation for portfolio submission that eligible candidates receive in January. Portfolio requirements are concentration specific.
STEP 4 — Selections Made
- Portfolios will be reviewed after the due date, and you should see the outcome on MyCalPoly no later than April 1.